Confucius was a Chinese philosopher that lived between 551 to 479 B.C. and taught educational and ethical values. His Latinized name means ‘a respected master of calm.’ He dedicated his life to education and learning, and although he was largely ignored throughout his lifetime, his values and teachings became those that have been embedded and entwined in the cultural identity of China and East Asia following his death.
There are many lessons and values that Confucius taught throughout his lifetime. Many of which I deeply resonate with and have deepened my interest in learning more about him and his life teachings.
In today’s episode, I take a deeper look at some of Confucius’ wisdom, teachings, and quotes. I discuss the common themes found in his book, The Analects of Confucius, and how he lived his life by the Golden Rule of treating others the way you would like to be treated. I explain why Confucius’ followers were referred to as “The Rule School” and how they lived their life by committing themselves to learn and living in peace. I also share some of my favorite Confucius quotes and why they deeply resonate with me.
“The Golden Rule is the essence of kindness, compassion, and mutual respect.”
– Dr. Mark Rowe
This week on In the Doctor’s Chair:
- The history of Confucius and how he lived his life
- Followers of Confucius
- Confucius’s value of education and life-long learning
- Reflecting on our own past experiences to make better, more positive decisions
- The power of effort and gritty persistence
- The importance of possibility, hope, realistic optimism, and resilience
- Embracing silence, stillness, and solitude
- Bringing a sense of passion and purpose to what you do and who you are
- Embracing your flaws and individuality
- Embracing simplicity and authenticity
- Transforming resentment into forgiveness
- The fallacy and illusion of invincibility
- Book: The Analects of Confucius by Confucius
In the Doctor’s Chair
Thanks for listening to In the Doctor’s Chair, the show where you’ll hear conversations that share life lessons, health habits, and leadership practices that focus on positive psychology, lifestyle medicine, and ways for you to live with more vitality
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a comment wherever you listen to your podcasts.
For more resources to help you to live with more vitality, please visit my website.