Dr. Paddy Barrett is a preventive cardiologist committed to helping patients optimize their health, extend their lives, and discover the deeper meaning of life. He has 20 years of experience in world-class medical centers in California, New York, Sydney, and Ireland. Dr. Barrett has realized that true well-being encompasses more than just the treatment of diseases and promotes extending life span, health span, and soul span through leading a purposeful and meaningful life. He shares insights from his career in his Substack newsletter—where he provides readers with valuable information on optimizing health and discovering meaning—and on his podcast, The Dr. Paddy Barrett Podcast.
Today, Dr. Paddy and I discuss preventive cardiology and the risk factors leading to cardiovascular disease, cancer, and dementia. Dr. Paddy highlights the need for lifestyle medicine and positive health practices and details how his work in preventive cardiology and medical innovation continues to significantly impact the field. We discuss how understanding metabolic syndrome and its role in chronic diseases can prevent the early onset of major illnesses. We explain why it’s never too late to make positive changes to our health. Dr. Patty also shares his insights on meditation and stoicism and details how those tools can improve emotional resilience and well-being.
”If you want to be a kick-ass 90-year-old, you cannot settle for being an average 50-year-old.” – Dr. Paddy Barrett
This week on In the Doctor’s Chair:
- Why Paddy is so passionate about preventive cardiology
- The importance of focusing on risk factors to prevent disease
- The leading causes of death in the developed world
- What we can learn from healthy centenarians
- The importance of lifestyle medicine and positive health
- Strategies for reducing burnout in the medical profession
- Paddy’s experience hosting his podcast
- The role of medical innovation in preventive cardiology
- The good news about metabolic syndrome
- How Patty celebrates patient wins
- Why some patients resist statin therapy
- How stoicism and meditation build resilience
Connect with Dr. Paddy Barrett:
- Dr. Paddy Barrett Website
- Dr. Paddy Barrett on Substack
- Dr. Paddy Barretton on Instagram
- Dr. Paddy Barrett on LinkedIn
- Dr. Paddy Barrett on Twitter
In the Doctor’s Chair
Thanks for listening to In the Doctor’s Chair, the show where you’ll hear conversations that share life lessons, health habits, and leadership practices that focus on positive psychology, lifestyle medicine, and ways for you to live with more vitality.
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a comment wherever you listen to your podcasts.
For more resources to help you to live with more vitality, please visit my website.