Emilia Elisabet Lahti, PhD, MSSc, MAPP, is an internationally acclaimed presenter specializing in positive psychology, courage, leadership, and high performance. Emilia’s groundbreaking research at Aalto University School of Science and Technology focused on sisu, an ancient Finnish concept representing courage and determination in the face of extreme adversity. Her research paper garnered widespread attention, featured by prestigious publications such as The New Yorker, Business Insider, Scientific American, BBC, Spirituality and Health, and Forbes. Emilia holds a master’s degree in Social Psychology from the University of Tampere in Finland, and a master’s in Applied Positive Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania, where she studied under the guidance of Professor Martin Seligman. Her master’s thesis on sisu in 2013 was advised by research professor Dr. Angela Duckworth. Additionally, Emilia is the founder of the Positive Psychology Association of Finland and the driving force behind the non-profit organization Sisu Not Silence, which promotes nonviolence and active compassion across all domains of human life.
Today, Emilia Elisabet and I discuss the concept of sisu, how she found it helpful in healing and rebuilding after an abusive relationship, and how it can heal you. We discuss how sisu can help you overcome adversity and how to develop sisu in your own life. Emilia Elisabet shares how her Finnish heritage helped her find her own sisu and the courage to move forward. She discusses why sisu is not only a way to heal but also a way to give her gift to the world and find her own unique place to serve. She also explains how she learned that sisu is a life philosophy and has grown in her understanding of how to use it to overcome adversity and help others.
“Everything, to me, starts from awareness.” -Dr. E. Elisabet Lahti
This week on In the Doctor’s Chair:
- Emilia Elisabet’s definition of sisu
- How sisu impacts every facet of your life
- Sisu and inner strength
- How sisu helps you grow as a person
- Why Emilia Elisabet ran across New Zealand
- The benefits of cold therapy and saunas
- Why discomfort isn’t always a bad thing
Connect with Dr. E. Elisabet Lahti:
- Dr. E. Elisabet Lahti’s Website
- Book: Gentle Power: A Revolution in How We Think, Lead, and Succeed Using the Finnish Art of Sisu
- Podcast: Sisu Lab Podcast
- Dr. E. Elisabet Lahti’s Research Paper
- Dr. E. Elisabet Lahti on LinkedIn
- Dr. E. Elisabet Lahti on Instagram
- Dr. E. Elisabet Lahti on Facebook
- Dr. E. Elisabet Lahti on Twitter
- Dr. E. Elisabet Lahti on YouTube
In the Doctor’s Chair
Thanks for listening to In the Doctor’s Chair, the show where you’ll hear conversations that share life lessons, health habits, and leadership practices that focus on positive psychology, lifestyle medicine, and ways for you to live with more vitality.
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a comment wherever you listen to your podcasts.
For more resources to help you to live with more vitality, please visit my website.