Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Dr. Jessica Matthews is a renowned health and wellness educator, author, and speaker. She is an Assistant Professor and the creator of the Master of Kinesiology in Integrative Wellness program at Point Loma Nazarene University and the Director of Integrative Health Coaching in the Centers for Integrative Health at UC San Diego. She is also the lead faculty member in the area of health behavior change for the American College of Lifestyle Medicine (ACLM), serves as chair of the ACLM Health and Wellness Coaches member interest group, and is a consultant and senior advisor for the American Council on Exercise (ACE). She regularly contributes to numerous publications and media outlets, such as CNN, The Washington Post, Women’s Health, The New York Times, NPR, and Doctor Radio.
Today, Jessica and I discuss how when we as practitioners adopt healthy habits in our own lives it leads to better outcomes for our patients. Jessica analyzes the results of studies showing that physicians who practiced healthy behaviors, such as resistance training, were more likely to counsel patients with authenticity and shares her personal experiences that led her to develop the Master of Science in Integrative Wellness program. Jessica also explains what ‘whole person health’ is, how it helps practitioners provide better care to their patients, and the healthy habits she recommends to her patients.
“When you have experiences in life that are challenging, it’s an opportunity to further evolve your perspective.”
– Dr. Jessica Matthews
This week on In the Doctor’s Chair:
- Why it’s important for healthcare professionals to adopt a healthy lifestyle
- How patients benefit from their doctor’s healthy lifestyle
- How doctors can model authentic health behaviors for patients
- How doctors can have more authentic conversations with their patients
- How to overcome setbacks on your journey to a healthy lifestyle
- What whole person health is and how it helps practitioners provide better care
- Jessica’s recommendations on how to navigate through life
- The power of giving back and serving others
Connect with Dr. Jessica Matthews:
- Jessica Matthews’ Website
- Jessica Matthews’ TedX Talk
- Jessica Matthews’ on LinkedIn
- Jessica Matthews’ on Instagram
- Jessica Matthews’ on Facebook
- Jessica Matthews’ on Twitter
In the Doctor’s Chair
Thanks for listening to In the Doctor’s Chair, the show where you’ll hear conversations that share life lessons, health habits, and leadership practices that focus on positive psychology, lifestyle medicine, and ways for you to live with more vitality.
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a comment wherever you listen to your podcasts.
For more resources to help you to live with more vitality, please visit my website.
Apple Podcasts | TuneIn | Google Play | Stitcher | Spotify