Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Professor Patrick Murray is a Professor of Clinical Pharmacology at the University College Dublin and is board certified in nephrology, critical care medicine, and clinical pharmacology. He has practiced as an intensivist, a nephrologist, and a clinical pharmacologist at the University of Chicago Hospitals where he served as the fellowship training Programme Director in nephrology and directed the acute dialysis services. In addition to his teaching role at UCD, Patrick is a consulting physician and Chair of the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital Drugs and Therapeutics Committee, the Clinical Director of the UCD Clinical Research Center, and the host of a special podcast series, MGA Clinical Influencers Podcast – Series 2.
Today I share part two of my interview as a guest of the University College Dublin MGA Clinical Influencers Podcast interview with Professor Patrick Murray. I reflect on some of the challenges in my early days as a young GP.
We discuss realising my dream of transforming a former Presentation Convent and Chapel cloister building into a 21st Century enhanced medical facility (0riginally designed by Augustus Pugin (1812-1852). Located just up the road from where I had grown up. I also discuss the best parts of my role as a family doctor and why I believe that lifestyle changes can be the best medicine for lasting wellbeing.
‘One of my all time favourite quotes is one attributed to Confucius who said ‘We all have two lives and our second life starts the day we realise we have only one life.’
This week on In the Doctor’s Chair:
- Realising my dream of converting a Pugin designed Convent into a state-of-the-art medical facility
- Taking time to step back care of my own health
- Why I believe challenging times helped me grow as a person
- The best part about my work as a general practitioner
- When I believe lifestyle changes may be the best option rather than writing a prescription (and when it isn’t)
- How I value taking care of my own health now & maintain a work/life balance
- My top book recommendations
- How I’d like to see the Irish health system evolve in the future
Connect with Professor Patrick Murray:
- University College Dublin Website
- MGA Clinical Influencers Podcast – Series 2
- UCD School of Medicine on Facebook
- UCD Medicine on Twitter
In the Doctor’s Chair
Thanks for listening to In the Doctor’s Chair, the show where you’ll hear conversations that share life lessons, health habits, and leadership practices that focus on positive psychology, lifestyle medicine, and ways for you to live with more vitality.
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a comment wherever you listen to your podcasts.
Please visit my website for more resources to help you live with more vitality.
Apple Podcasts | TuneIn | Google Play | Stitcher | Spotify