Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
In this episode, I discuss the value of choosing a strength-based approach to living our lives. I discuss how traditional psychological practices shifted from focusing on alleviating problems and weaknesses to embracing positive psychology practices. I discuss the six core characteristics that are present in every culture, civilization, and religious belief and how they sub-divide into what we now consider 24 different character strengths. I explain what signature strengths are and how our strengths can change over time. I also discuss the benefits of choosing a strength-based approach to living, how to identify and leverage the benefits of your signature strengths, and how using your strengths can support your vitality and well-being.
Do you tend to focus on your weaknesses instead of your strengths? Do you tend to focus on what’s wrong instead of what’s strong? As humans, our brain is hard-wired for fear detection, anxiety, and discomfort, which often leads us to focus on our faults and flaws instinctually. And while it might seem counterintuitive to focus on our strengths instead of our weaknesses, it can also be a tremendous way to feel better and bring more of the ‘real you’ into the world.
“It’s only by choosing your strengths that you will sail the ocean of possibility in life.”
– Dr. Mark Rowe
This week on In the Doctor’s Chair:
- How psychological practices shifted from focusing on alleviating problems or weaknesses to embracing positive psychology practices
- The six core virtues in every culture, religious belief, and civilization
- The composition of your unique character profile
- Understanding your signature strengths and how your strengths can change over time
- How to identify and leverage the benefits of your signature strengths
- The benefits of choosing a strength-based approach to living
- Strengths that are closely linked to your emotional wellbeing
In the Doctor’s Chair
Thanks for listening to In the Doctor’s Chair, the show where you’ll hear conversations that share life lessons, health habits, and leadership practices that focus on positive psychology, lifestyle medicine, and ways for you to live with more vitality.
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the show and leave a comment wherever you listen to your podcasts.
Please visit my website for more resources to help you live with more vitality.
Apple Podcasts | TuneIn | Google Play | Stitcher | Spotify